What is EMDR Therapy?
EMDR, which stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, is a highly effective form of therapy designed to help you overcome the emotional distress caused by traumatic memories, anxiety, depression, and other difficult experiences.
What Does EMDR Do?
EMDR therapy is based on the idea that our brains have a natural ability to process and heal from traumatic or distressing events. However, sometimes these memories get “stuck” causing ongoing emotional pain. EMDR helps unblock this process.
Here’s how it works:
1. Assessment: In the initial sessions, we’ll discuss your history and identify specific memories or experiences causing you distress.
2. Processing: During EMDR sessions, you’ll be guided to focus on these distressing memories while engaging in bilateral stimulation, such as moving your eyes back and forth or using other sensory cues like tapping. This helps your brain process the memories and reduce their emotional charge.
3. Reprocessing: Over time, the distressing memories will become less overwhelming. You’ll develop new insights and healthier beliefs about yourself and your past.
How EMDR can help you:
EMDR therapy can provide a range of benefits, including:
- Trauma Resolutions: It can help you heal from past traumas and reduce symptoms of PTSD.
- Anxiety and Stress Reduction: EMDR is effective in managing anxiety and stress.
- Relief from Depression: It can address underlying issues contributing to depression.
- Improved Self-Esteem: You’ll develop a more positive self-image and greater self-worth.
- Enhanced Relationships: EMDR can help you address past relationship traumas, improving current relationships.
- Emotional Freedom: By processing and releasing old pain, you can experience emotional freedom and greater overall well-being.
I am a licensed EMDR therapist with experience helping clients overcome trauma, anxiety, and depression. I am committed to providing a safe and supportive environment for clients to explore their feelings and work towards healing and growth. Together, we’ll explore and process your memories, emotions, and beliefs, working towards your healing and personal growth goals. If EMDR therapy feels right for you, we’ll begin by setting goals and establishing a safe and supportive therapeutic relationship. You are not alone on this journey, I am here to support and
guide you every step of the way.
We are here to support you along your journey.
The EMDR Team
SPECIALTIES: Depression, Anxiety, Self Esteem, Play Therapy, Behaviour Intervention, Supporting parents with Autism/adhd/odd diagnoses
Desiree D’silva, m.ED
MA Counselling Psychology, CCC, Clinical Counselor
I am an EMDR and Play based therapist who works with children, youth and adults. I am deeply committed to providing a safe and non-judgmental space where my clients can explore their emotions, gain insight into their experiences, and develop effective coping strategies. My therapeutic approach is rooted in empathy, respect, and collaboration, as I believe that the therapeutic relationship is a crucial aspect of the healing process.